MARINDUQUE | Boac Cathedral, the Fortress Church

Friday, July 15, 2011

Boac Cathedral Marinduque

Tyring to squeeze my time’s worth in the province of Marinduque, I quickly searched Google Maps for the towering structure I saw on my jeepney ride from the Port of Buenavista to the main town of Boac. I assumed that it would be the town cathedral, and indeed it was. After witnessing parts of the Moriones Festival, I asked for directions from the locals I passed along the road and I eventually made it to the church’s fortified walls.

Boac Cathedral Marinduque

The church, it seemed, was once a fortress during the Spanish era. This was quite evident on the rough stone walls surrounding the church yard, and its location, which was on the highest part of town, aptly named Barangay Mataas.

According to the National Historical Institude marker set on its walls, the cathedral was built in 1792. It became a haven for the locals during a Moro attack in the 1800’s and was the place where the Philippine Revolutionary flag was blessed in 1899.

Boac Cathedral Marinduque

The main body of the church facade is made of rough terra cotta while the bell tower is of cut adobe stones. The style is quite simple; according to Ferd Decena’s En Route, it is a fusion of Filipino-Hispanic Gothic architecture. I can see the Filipino-Hispanic influence, but not the Gothic aspect though.

Boac Cathedral Marinduque

Off the left side of the church hangs the old bell of the cathedral and if you check the right side, you’d see massive buttresses reminiscent of Paoay’s UNESCO World Heritage church in the province of Ilocos.

Boac Cathedral Marinduque

Entering its beautifully carved doors, I can see that the walls are in concurrent with its exterior; they are also made of red bricks. Looking upwards, the white ceiling is crisscrossed with dark wooden trims and decorated with sun-like ornaments. And up the church’s sanctuary are its retablos, a main one and two lesser halves.

Boac Cathedral Marinduque

To me, what really sets Boac Cathedral apart from the many of the old churches I’ve seen, is its medieval-like fortress wall surrounding its courtyard. My initial impression was of surprise, I thought it was like a church surrounded by the walls of Intramuros.

Boac Cathedral Marinduque

Boac Cathedral
Address: Brgy. Mataas, Boac, Marinduque
Contact Number: (042) 332-1014
Email: dioceseofboac1978@gmail.com

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. So great photos you have there. . wish i could have nice camera like yours. . :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice pictures again. the church is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ganda nitong church na to, loob at labas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. April 23, 2011 - high noon

    and so I finally reached this old church constructed from bricks. I was amazed by it's facade. I love old churches, they make my travels complete. Too bad I'm too hungry, I spent only a few minutes in this church's vicinity, I left it to hunt for the great Boac Bibingka.

    sensya na dito ako nag-blog.. ang ganda kasi nung shots mo, namiss ko nnmn 'to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! inviting ang mga shots mo. Galing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felicitousgalaera
    Some of those photos are taken with a mere Point & Shoot camera, so don't worry about what camera you have. The best camera is always what you have with you. =]

    Michi, Claire, Bino
    Thanks po!

    Lestat
    Pretty and petite =]

    Batang Lakwatsero
    Haha ang galing naman! Halos parehas tayo ng napuntahan nung Holy Week

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this marinduque series of yours pre.
    the cathedral looks like paoay and iloilo's miag-ao. try to read estan's series pre: http://langyaw.com/2008/09/11/tea-sulu-miag-ao-church/

    ReplyDelete
  8. What camera did you use?

    ReplyDelete