EN ROUTE | Iloilo City to Guimaras

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Guimaras from afar at Ortiz Wharf

I never thought I would get to drop by Guimaras Island during our stay in Iloilo as our real purpose then was to really visit my aunt who would do her Perpetual Oblation as a sister of the Oblate of the Society of Saint Pius X. So it was with much surprise that my nun aunt asked us if we wanted to visit the island right across the city, I was almost unable to contain my enthusiasm.

Nuns were not supposed to be so adventurous, right? Well I guess that doesn’t apply with my aunt. 
 
Zooming in on GuimarasWe headed off to the Ortiz wharf not so early the next day, breakfast in tow right after hearing mass. The cab ride took us an hour from Jaro Church.


All sorts of vendors greeted us as we alighted from the taxi. Lanzones was in season and basket after baskets lined the street. And then there were the smoked fishes, really perfect for breakfast at the beach.

The Ferry to GuimarasI was daydreaming of fried rice, fresh tomatoes, scrambled egg, and those crunchy fried salty fishes for breakfast as my bare feet dangled on the white sand of Guimaras. Unfortunately, it was to remain but a dream as we were quite unprepared for this trip and we only bought some sandwiches with us for our morning meal.
 
We paid at the dispatcher before boarding the boat to Guimaras, the fare was surprisingly low at Php12.00 per head. The outrigger boat was quite large, I estimated it could seat at least sixty persons comfortably with a few motorbikes towed at the back too. It was like a bus of sorts between Iloilo and Guimaras.

The island can be clearly seen from the small port and the trip was predictably short, totaling just sixteen minutes by my watch.

We alighted at the busy wharf of Jordan in Guimaras, got mobbed by drivers offering tricycles, multicabs and jeepneys for hire, signed up at their tourist center and chose a multicab (Php800.00 whole day rent) for our Guimaras tour. We towed our bags and Lanzones inside and we were off. My head was spinning, here we come, Guimaras!

Boating to Guimaras Dried Fish at Ortiz Wharf in IloiloSmoked Fish Being Sold at Ortiz Wharf in Iloilo The Multicab Ride to the Beaches of Guimaras

  Ortiz Wharf, Iloilo City to Jordan Wharf, Guimaras
  Daily Trips from 6:00 AM – 8:00 PM (every 15-30 minutes)
  Regular Fare = Php11/pax
  Chartered Trip = Php350 – 470/trip

  Transportation in Guimaras 
  Vans – Distance (km) X P3.00
  Jeepney and Multicab– 1st 5 km = Php8.00 then succeeding km is P1.25/km
  One-Way Trip Fare – (Fare per passenger x No. of sitting capacity per vehicle)


You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. I really, really like your photos. :) Do you do weddings? Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I am no good at shooting (especially posing) people, so weddings are really not on my list of things I'm good at. Thanks for asking tho, I can recommend some people to you if you want tho.

    Or if the wedding's gonna be in Batanes or somewhere far far away, I can probably tag along and shoot for free haha =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping to get you for creative shots for my brother's wedding pa naman. Hehe! Kahit backup photog lang coz he already has a photo/vid supplier. :)

    Batanes! My dream destination! Hahaha! How I wish the wedding'll be there. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mojita Yanipot
    That's flattering naman, practice muna siguro ako para di naman ako mapahiya =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe. Sige, practice makes perfect! =D Pero idol parin kita. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir, I notice that you have wide angle in your shots. I like wide shots, especially landscape. Good job Sir and thanks for visiting my hometown. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my best trips in visayas! Guimaras!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bernie
    Thanks sir, I love my UWA hehe

    Teng
    Balik kami jan later this year =)

    ReplyDelete