MOUNTAIN PROVINCE | Kiltepan Viewpoint at Sagada

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Waiting for the Sunrise at Sagada's Kiltepan Viewpoint

My second day at Sagada started very early. I got up at 4:30 am, had a quick shower and packed my gear up.

The street below St. Joseph’s Resthouse was dark, deserted and deathly still. There were hardly any streetlights and I almost went past the designated meeting place. I arrived before 5:00 am; The Faint Sun Slowly Appearing Among the Smog at Sagada's Kiltepan Viewpointhowever, I was informed that our meeting with the guide was moved thirty minutes later. I passed the time sitting on the curb, reviewing my previous day’s shots and having a silent conversation with a dog lazily lounging by my side.


First stop for the day was the Kiltepan Viewpoint for the sunrise. The morning was fresh and misty; with towering pine trees by my side and green-layeredSunrise at Sagada's Kiltepan Viewpoint rice terraces deep below the valley.

The viewpoint was just a quick drive from Sagada town proper and it was already packed with vacationers when we arrived. Everyone was patiently waiting for the sun king to show itself against the smog filled mountainside.

Smog at Sagada? Yes indeed. Some of mountainsides, pine trees and all, were being burned down by the locals to convert as rice terraces. I really don’t know if this is a good thing or not. But the smog was definitely blocking our view of the great valley below Kiltepan. The sun was also having a hard time showing itself against the thick blanket of white mist.

The sun finally broke through after a while, to the cheers of the waiting crowd. A golden disc framed against the trunks of the giant pine trees. It was already heading its slow way up to the clouds and was, however, quite subdued.  Still, a beautiful sight nonetheless.


At Sagada's Kiltepan Viewpoint
Early Morning Risers Waiting for the Sunrise at Sagada's Kiltepan Viewpoint Kiltepan Sunrisers at Sagada's Kiltepan Viewpoint

         

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. nice view-- one of the "MUST SEE" ! .. loved your picture shots...reallly cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pin, I really have to revisit this place when I get back to Sagada, it was really really foggy when I went there. I also found some bonfire marks there, I wonder if they allow overnight camping in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ganda ng pics. Wala rin kami nakita nung pumunta rin kami nun sa Kiltepan. Sobrang foggy at ang lamig pa. November '07 kami pumunta nun eh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, dapat yata bisitahin din ang Kiltepan during noon-time para dispersed na ang fog. Antagal na since your last visit, balik tayo! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the view... wow, just wow. looks peaceful. i am this close to buying that effing cash cash pinoy deal hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marjorie
    This is in Sagada ha, about four hours ride pa from Banaue :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I experienced the most beautiful morning of Sagada here... the best sunrise viewing I won't forget!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome sunrise here. Weird yata ang weather sa Sagada, hindi foggy pagpunta namin ng Kiltepan pero binagyo naman kami sa Bomod-ok. Dapat yata 1 week haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm that's too bad, you were trekking under a storm to Bomod-Ok?

      Delete
  9. Hindi kami tumuloy, kasi everything was white sa lakas ng ulan. Top-load pa naman ako nun OTW sa start ng trek. Haha. Ligo ligo din pag may time. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it was quite an experience din pala kahit di kayo natuloy :P

      Delete