MOUNTAIN PROVINCE | Breakfast at Sagada’s Masferré

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Warm Interiors of Masferre Country Inn and Restaurant

I was strapped for cash the whole time I was in Sagada. Never expecting that my lodging would cost me a thousand plus pesos a night, I brought just enough for a Php250.00 to Php400.00 budget for my nightly accommodations. I had to scrimp on food just to have enough cash toThe Owner, Monette Masferre and her Children at the Gift Shop last me until the town’s ATM opened. And yes, Sagada has an ATM. The only thing was, since it was the holidays, it was closed ‘til Black Saturday, that’s two days worth of eating fishballs and noodles for me then.
 
At last Saturday came and I finally got some hard cash. Time to dine on the many restos dotting the streets of Sagada.


First one I tried was the Masferre Country Inn and Restaurant, as I heard they serve some really mean breakfast.

The restaurant was originally Julia’s Inn before being converted into Masferre Country Inn and Restaurant during the early 90’s.

The place got its name from Monette Masferre’s father-in-law, Eduardo Masferre. Regarded as the father of Philippine Photography, he was born to a Spanish father, who served as a missionary in Sagada and to a Kankanay mother. His photographs depict the ancestral life on the mountains of Cordillera, fromThe View from the Masferre's Generous Windows the hardships of the land to the smiles of its people. These photographs have already been exhibited in many countries, from Copenhagen, Tokyo, and to the world's most prestigious photographic exhibition in France, the Les Recontres International de La Photographie.

A few of his works are on display at one side of the wall in the bistro. A coffee table book titled, E. Masferre: People of the Philippine Cordillera, is also available for purchase at the gift shop adjacent to the resto.

The dining area’s cozy wooden interior reflects its simple wood and brick facade. It is warmly illuminated by generous amount of natural sunlight pouring through its side windows, just perfect for the cold Cordillera weather. Seat yourself near the windows too for a nice view of the quaint Sagada hills and the medieval looking Episcopalian Church.
Masferre's Exterior Facade
Now about the food; I of course asked if they serve longanisas and lucky me, they do. I did have to wait for quite a while since they were still cooking those garlicky sausages that I so love when I arrived. No hassle though as the back wall was full of Eduardo Masferre’s photographs to while away the time.

Their food was good, garlic longanisas are always good, and the staff was pretty friendly. Prices generally range around the hundred-peso mark for their breakfasts. Really worth your money though since the portions were generous. Meals also come with some fruit side dishes and a choice of coffee or hot chocolate.

It was too late though when I found out that their cheeseburgers and chicharons were to die for. Well, I guess there’s always next time. I’ll have to add that to my itinerary on my next visit to Sagada and I’ll make sure I have more than enough dough to last me a week’s worth of food tripping too.
Garlic Longanisa at Sagada's Masferre

       Masferré Country Inn and Restaurant
       Contact Number: (074) 423-0034 | Mobile: (0918) 341-6164 

       

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. shempre the ever present longganisa :P

    lovin the name--Masferre.. astig.

    cant wait to visit this place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lestat, hehe shempre the ever present Longanisa talaga =P

    ReplyDelete