METRO MANILA | UST Quadricentennial Photo Competition

Sunday, February 21, 2010

My winning entry "Enlightenment"

The oldest university in Asia, The Pontifical and Royal University of Santo Tomas, is celebrating its fourth centenary this coming 2011. The UST Main Building, the Central Seminary, the Arch of the Centuries and the University’s open spaces are being declared as National Cultural Treasures by the National Museum. Various activities are also being held by the university to celebrate its 400 years of service to the Filipino youth; Photowall of submitted entriesone such activities is the UST Quadricentennial Photo Competition.

The contest, opened for both alumni’s and students, was held from the 1st of January to the 31st. Over 400 entries were submitted in the course of  the month and judging was to be made by two respected photographers, Jun Barrameda and Noli Gabilo.


Too bad the contest was opened a few days after I went shooting at my alma mater, having already a few noteworthy shots.


So anyways, after hearing about the contest, I went back to UST, cameras and tripods slung on my back. Having four pre-visualized shots already in my head, I just waited for the golden afternoon light to streak into the university and hurriedly went to work on the four locations I had in mind before Entries displayed at the UST Museumthe light of the magic hour ran out of me.

As luck would have it, one of those four shots struck gold and was shortlisted.

The awarding was to be held two weeks after the submissions at the UST Museum. Unfortunately, I have work on that day, but I just had to attend the ceremonies.  I had an early break from  the office and taxied my way to UST, heavy España traffic and all. I arrived just in time for the introductions. 

Finally the winners were soon being announced one agonizingly slow name after another; I nervously waited if my name was to going to be called as the room seems to turn a degree colder. 

And after a few more names, my name was finally announced!

My entry bagged the third place for the Alumni Category. I was of course aiming for the grand prize of P75,000.00 but third prize is not bad at all.

My piece, titled "Enlightenment" is a combination of two of Santo Tomas' icons. The regal Benavides sculpture and the massive old world UST Main Building caught in the transition of day into night.

My heartfelt gratitude to my alma mater, The University of Santo Tomas, for my first major photo competition win! 

One of my non-winning entryOne of my non-winning entry

One of my non-winning entry
The winning and selected entries are on display at the UST Main Building Museum, February 12 to March 6, 2010. 
Viewing hours are from 8:30am to 4:30 pm, Tuesdays to Saturdays.

Winning and Shortlisted entries can be viewed here:
http://www.pinoyphotography.org/UST400Images/

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. congrats! pa workshop ka na! hehe

    cheers! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats bro! a well deserved victory. The concept of your winning entry was brilliant. it fits the theme of the competition. I also like the silhouette picture of the pope.

    I saw the other entries and it's a tough competition I would say. I like the grand prize winner of the student category, as well. It should have been perfect, if he played around with the white balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats christian. your concept was great. definitely deserves a prized spot. sana ako din makapanalo next time sa mga competition :9

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lestat, Cleober and Enrico!

    Lestat
    Workshop? Di ko pa kaya yun!

    Cleober
    I really digged the Grand Winner of the student category Cleo hehe

    Enrico
    Just got lucky haha, join lang ng join para manalo =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a beginning more pleasure, treasures and achievements to come.......
    GOD BLESS you always

    ReplyDelete